Malwarebytes is people’s first choice and a trusted brand in the market. No other similar software can beat it in terms of offering security. It doesn’t take much of your device’s memory, still ensures maximum protection from all types of malware. Although it works smoothly on your PC sometimes situations are not in our favor. You may start facing issues like Malwarebytes won’t open in windows 10,won’t uninstall and installed but won’t load etc. Here, we are going to discuss the reasons and ways to overcome the issue. Go through the article and check where are you lacking behind :
Reason of Malwarebytes Won't Open on Windows 10 PC
Malware Infection: Possibilities are there to have malware in your device that is preventing the antivirus program from performing its functions. Make sure that Malwarebytes executable file named mbam.exe is in working condition for launching Malwarebytes.
Corrupted User Account: Another possible reason could be corrupted / faulty user a/c on your Windows 10 PC. It may create problems and prevent many apps from launching such as Malwarebytes.
How To Fix Malwarebytes Won't Run In Windows Computer
Method 1 : Rename The Executable File
Renaming the mbam.exe executable file will help you avoid such kind of bugs. Go with the below steps:
- First, Right-click on the shortcut icon of Malwarebytes on your device followed by choosing the ‘Open File Location’ option to open the parent folder.
- Look for mbam.exe file in the installation folder. Make right-click on it and tap ‘Rename’ option.
- After this, change the name to explorer.exe. As Explorer is a necessary function in Windows, there are no chances that any virus can block a file with such name.
- Now, try to run Malwarebytes. Select ‘Scan’ option from the home screen to begin scanning of viruses.
- It will take some of your time as Malwarebytes might first update its virus database. It should be allowed to continue to scan after that.
- Restart your device and see what the results are; whether Malwarebytes is opening or not.
Method 2: Create New User Account
Try to switch to a different user profile and say No to these issues. Also, the details can be easily transferred to your new account. Following steps should be followed to create account :
- Start ‘Run‘ dialog box by pressing Windows key + R. There you need to type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open command prompt as administrator.
- Type control userpasswords2 in the window and hit Enter button. It would start the User Accounts panel..
- Select Add button and go ahead with the directions appearing on screen. Click on Sign in without a Microsoft account option, in case, you want to create a non-Microsoft a/c.
- Tap Next option and then select Local Account in the next window. It will verify your choice. Also, provide the remaining details.
- Once the new account is successfully created, log out of your current account. You may also type shutdown –L and press enter for this. Or you can press Alt + Ctrl + Delete and choose Switch user.
- Now, log in to your newly created a/c and see if the issue still exists or not.
Method 3 : Use Malwarebytes Chameleon
This built-in utility tool helps diagnosing infected device. Here’s how you can run Malwarebytes Chameleon to troubleshoot Malwarebytes doesn’t open issues.
- Begin by downloading Malwarebytes Chameleon from the provided link : https://www.malwarebytes.com/chameleon/
- As the download gets completed you need to unzip the program to a folder in your selected location.
- Next, open the included SHM Helo File and look for the
- For further instructions, follow the help guide.
If you don’t get desired results even after following the above instructions, then you may try to run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode.
Method 4 : Run Malwarebytes In Safe Mode
As you all might understand that the key point is to open and Run the program once. So that it can begin scanning process and check infected apps running in the background. As many third party applications don’t work in safe boot mode, there are chances that the issue would be eliminated this time. The steps to boot windows 10 computer in safe mode are mentioned underneath:
- First, Shut down your PC and also turn off the Power switch.
- Now, Power ON PC and hold down F9 key, there you will see Advance recovery menu.
- Choose Troubleshoot option. Next, go with Advanced Options and then Startup Settings.
- Tap Restart.
- Pick Safe mode with Networking from the list.
Method 5 : Reinstall The Application
Reinstalling Malwarebytes would be the better option. Here are the Steps to do so:
- Type Run in the Windows Search bar.
- After this, type “Appwiz.Cpl” in the Run box.
- You will see option on screen saying “Uninstall or change a program“.
- Now, find and Uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.After removing the application download the current version of Malwarebytes and install it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Question: Currently, I am using Windows 7, is Malwarebytes safe for it?
Answer: Without any doubt, Microsoft Windows Defender antivirus is the best antivirus. But there is also a need to be protected against adware, malware and trojan. You must install anti-malware software on Windows 7 PC for this purpose.
Question: Does Malwarebytes is effective for viruses like Trojan?
Answer: Yes, it provides complete safety to your system and easily detects a virus, malware infection, adware, and spyware. Where other antivirus software ignores, it removes the Trojan virus.
Question: What are the reasons behind my Malwarebytes not working?
Answer: Lots of reasons could be there for malware bytes not responding in a proper way. An incomplete installation, corrupt files, malware infection are some of them.
Question: My malware protection is turned off, what to do?
Answer: Given steps will help you in this case:
- Open Malwarebytes.
- Click Protection tab > Setting > Startup Options.
- In the next step, Switch On Enable self-protection module early start option.
In a nutshell, technical glitches are part and parcel of every user’s life. Don’t get afraid, we have provided you with the simplest methods to fix Malwarebytes not starting error. You can perform them easily on your own. If need any assistance, do contact our team members via our chat support.